Sunday, January 25, 2015

Cover for Shoe Brace

2/25/2012

Since I did have polio as a child, and since I do have to wear a leg brace on my left leg, I found that the device is not just a simple thing to have to deal with.  My shoes have to be built special to accommodate several things so that my gait is as natural as it can be.

Once I started wearing the brace, the biggest issues I had were:

• that the plastic of the brace made my leg sweat, 
• the edges along the top would rub against my skin causing skin sores,
• the straps are velcro straps that kept cutting into my skin.

I tried all kinds of things that were suggested to me: tall socks, leg wrappings, etc..and nothing seemed to work.  Then one day when I was complaining, I made the statement that what I really needed was a sock to cover the plastic, and Lang told me to sew something that would do what I had suggested.

So, I started thinking about what I needed, and the following is what I came up with.  It works really well.  The fleece absorbs any sweat and keeps my leg comfortable.

This is a finished piece.

pastedGraphic.png  pastedGraphic_1.png  

pastedGraphic_2.png  pastedGraphic_3.png

To make it, I did the following:

1.  I took strips of paper towels and taped then to the inside of the brace making sure that the paper towel was larger than the outside edges.

2.  I then took a felt pen and outlined the edges along the brace edges.

3.  I carefully pulled that out of the inside of the plastic brace and set it aside.

4.  I did mark all spots where I would have to cut holes to accommodate straps.

5.  I then did the same thing for the outside of the brace.

6.  The only concession I had to make was adding the length of fabric that would be a strap.

7.  When sewing front to back, I made sure the top and strap parts matched and then just sewed them together.  Since fleece doesn't fray, cutting holes for the straps is no big deal.


pastedGraphic_4.png


This was my first patterns.  What I realized right away is the inside piece (on the left) also needed to have the strap length and width added to it along the top and to its left.  I made a few practice pieces out of fleece that i had left over from a previous project.  Once I had perfected how to do it, I made myself several covers.  I prefer my bear one the best, but I also have a shaggy cookie monster blue one, a camoflage one, a lime green one, and one with baseball players on it playing ball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment