Sunday, January 25, 2015

Diamonds in the Rough


Ok..started a new project.  Lang's niece is having a baby near Xmas, so her mother asked me if I would make a crib quilt for the new baby.   We worked out which pattern she wanted and she bought the fabric and sent it to me.  The pattern calls for some bling pieces and she forgot to send the bling..which is fine, cause I have lots of scrap fabric...and it gives me an excuse to use up the different fabrics I have.

The quilt pattern is called:  Diamond in the Rough.

It will look like this:

So I have been cutting and trying to match scraps to the blocks with the idea of creating little bits of "pop" throughout the quilt.  The scrap fabric in the center will not match on the seams and the more varied the colors, the more bling it adds to the piece overall.  Because I want the overall pattern to be pleasing, so have put everything up on the flannel board.  I will be putting the 5 inch blocks back into a 9.5 inch block and then rearranging the colors according to the pattern I have drawn out.  When the four blocks are joined together, they form a rough diamond in the middle.. :-)

Here is the darker of the beiges that will become 6  9-inch blocks.


Still plugging away on the baby quilt for Kim's daughter.

I have cut all the blocks into 5 inch squares.  I laid out the fabric pieces on my big table, and began adding color (bling) to each of the corners.  I was having so many problems remembering top from bottom and which square I wanted to make into part of a 9 inch square, that I began to label each block.  Each color has nine blocks so I labeled them 1 through 9.  Each big square is made up of four smaller squares, a - d.  And I labeled each top so I knew which way was up.  haha.

A few trial pieces showed me that apparently I can't sew a straight line free hand, so I drew a line to sew on, on each piece.  So I am sewing assembly line to gets the bling on.


Working at joining the blocks today.  Spent a productive day at getting the blocks put together.  Got all done and was putting stuff away and realized that I was sewing them together wrong.  So..seam ripper time !!!

So, truing up the smaller squares ..


So when I got done, I laid out a few of the blocks just to see how fragmented they looked.  Not bad..


Took some of the blocks and lay them out on the bed..just for fun..missing colors are blue and yellow..


I finished the top and sent it off to be quilted.

I was taking pics of this and decided to take a few hanging on the clothesline on my patio. The sunlight was a little bright, but it made for a beautiful picture. 


I finished the Diamonds quilt.  Waiting for label, but that will be an easy sew..

So here are the pics.

Picture taken by Teri Clark, the long arm quilter who quilted this for me:

The binding has been sewn on.

I requested that Kim design her own label, since this is for her grandchild.  This is her design.  It took me a while to figure out that "G & G" stand for Grandpa and Grandma.. ;-)  or at least I think it does..haha.

A friend of mine has an embroidery machine and he did this label for me.  We are still trying to decide if the background color should be different.  But this is one of the attempts of what it will look like.

And we did go with a new label..and it is sewn truly done.

And so I used both labels..

I received a nice thank you and a pic on Facebook of the quilt on the babies beautiful crib. Kim's choice of colors for the quilt were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment