Sunday, January 25, 2015

Flannel Shirt Quilt


While I was working on the Roman Road Quilt, I was also toying with some left over flannel plaid pieces that I was given a few years ago.  I wanted to make something with them, but nothing ever seemed right.  Every few months, I would see them folded up in the fabric drawer and they kept calling out to be something..but my mind just never had a good idea for them.

Since I was already working with flannel, I decided that I needed to do something with them.  I cut the fabric into large squares, laid them out until I liked the pattern, and then sewed them together.  It came out smaller than I wanted originally, so thought I would just make a lap quilt for the sofa.

One day, while in JoAnn Fabrics, I saw a huge bright piece of red flannel and I thought that it would be perfect for the plaid material.  I don't normally buy a lot of red fabric, so the amount I bought seemed overkill, but I bought it anyway.  So, I went ahead and got a green flannel herringbone fabric for the backing.  The even sweeter deal was that I was able to get both pieces of fabric for 50% off.

When sewn together, they seemed awful bright to my eyes, but I still liked it.

The blanket was now bigger than a lapsize, but for some reason, I knew I was giving to someone who would love it, so I just kept on going.  Eventually I realized it was for some friends in England, so they got it for xmas 2014.

Pics of the blanket and the progress to getting there..

This is the finished piece ..

The following are the construction of squares, border and backing fabric ..

I joined them together and took one more shot before sending it off to be quilted..

It came back and I was very happy with the quilting.  Because of the dense quilting, the blanket shrunk quite a bit, but it was nice and snuggly warm.

So, I got the binding done and everything was looking good.  Because I have cats..and they love to sneak onto quilts, it was necessary to put the quilt through the washer/dryer.  Whoa!!  Major lesson about flannel.  Apparently, the flannel was not the top grain flannel I thought it might be.  It shrank some more, which was okay, cause it did make the blanket a little more cozy; it did pull on the binding stitches.  There was no way to undo all the stitching.  It was now too tight.  I ended up going back over everything and hand stitching everything in place.

So, then I mailed it off to England.  Had to chuckle in that it cost as much to send it to England as it did for me to have it quilted.. But the guys were worth it.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment